Included with Select Citibank® Debit Card or Citi® Credit Card
Make everyday purchases quickly and safely with just a tap of your contactless-chip enabled card. Experience more convenient and secure checkout with contactless pay. Continue enjoying all your rewards, benefits, and account protections when you use tap to pay. If a store does not have a contactless payment reader, you can still swipe or insert your card into the payment reader.
Here’s how it works:
1. Find the symbolSee contactless indicator on the front or back of your card
2. Tap your cardLook for contactless symbol at the payment reader during checkout and tap your card
3. Confirm transaction and you’re all set.Get your transaction approval* and confirmation in seconds, and your purchase is good to go!
*Subject to your available credit
Contactless is a new technology that allows you to tap your Citibank® Debit Card or Citi® credit card on the payment reader at checkout without needing to swipe or insert your card into the payment reader. Your contactless card will display the contactless indicator  on either the front or back of your card.
Your contactless card is enabled with an embedded antenna that securely transmits information to the payment reader. Simply look for the universal contactless symbol  at checkout everywhere your Citi® card is accepted. When prompted for payment, tap your card within 1-2 inches of the contactless symbol on the payment reader. You will hear a beep, or see a checkmark or green light that indicates your transaction went through. Even if you tap twice, you will only be charged once for that transaction.
Yes – contactless payments are safe for several reasons. A unique code is generated each time you tap your contactless card at the payment reader, reducing the risk of counterfeit transactions. Even if you tap twice, you will only be charged once for that transaction. Transactions will only go through if your card is within 1-2 inches of the contactless symbol on the payment reader giving you peace of mind when paying. Whether you choose to tap, swipe, or insert for your purchases, Citi will continue to provide credit and account protection benefits.
Contactless technology makes it quicker and more convenient when paying. It saves time on both sides of the counter and your card also doesn’t leave your hand, minimizing fraudulent transactions. You will continue to enjoy all the benefits of your Citi® card whether you choose to tap, insert, or swipe for your purchases.
You can use your contactless card for any amount up to your available card limits and you will continue to enjoy the same rewards and benefits.
If the payment reader does not work when you tap your card, you can still use your card by swiping or inserting it into the payment reader. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance with further questions.
You may hear contactless technology described as “Tap and Pay,” “Tap and Go,” “Wave and Go,” and “Swipe Free Shopping."
- A: If you activate your debit card at the Citibank® ATM or at a Branch, the contactless feature is automatically activated and there is nothing further for you to do.
- B: If you activate your debit card on-line or via phone, you will also need to activate the contactless feature by one of the following methods:
- Insert debit card in a payment reader or Merchant/Store
- At a Citibank® ATM by inserting the card and entering the PIN
- At a Branch by dipping the card and entering the PIN
The Contactless Indicator mark, consisting of four graduating arcs, is a trademark owned by and used with permission of EMVCo, LLC.